Saturday 29 August 2015

No. 243. 'A light bulb moment.'

OK, Chris hasn't been so good today. I gave him his Oromorph around 2.30pm as usual. This helps his breathing by relaxing him. He was also thirsty so I put a glass full of water down his PEG too.

Not long after, he started one of his mucous episodes, which involves him choking then gagging before getting rid of the build up. I started using suction on him and as sometimes happens the gagging caused him to vomit. He went on to bring up the drink I had given him and quite possibly the Oromorph too. I hate it when he vomits, because he usually also aspirates some of it and that causes more choking. Anyway, we dealt with this as we do everyday and after about 30 minutes he settled down. I was reluctant to give him more Oromorph just in case he had absorbed the earlier dose.

Just before the carers came for their evening visit Chris couldn't catch his breath, he started panicking and asked me to dial 999. I told him the ambulance crew couldn't do anything and to try cough assist and suction first. This cleared some more mucous. I suddenly thought that maybe Chris did miss a dose of Oromorph, I calmed Chris down and said he was probably struggling and panicking because he needed some medicine. As soon as the carers got him into bed I gave him his Oromorph and diazepam. Within half an hour Chris had relaxed and calmed down. The medication doesn't suddenly make him breathe better, but it does calm and relax him and takes the fear away. 

Right, so that was a big 'light bulb' moment. I shall know now the next time Chris panics when he can't catch his breath to give him Oromorph. The GP said the dose could be upped as times goes on too. It may be the only thing that can help him, but at least it works.