Saturday 4 October 2014

No 98. MND changes all our lives.

We arrived home late last night after saying goodbye to Chloe in the morning, visiting my friend Debbie in Eastbourne and then leaving her house at 2pm. We arrived home just before 11pm. 

This journey consisted of the Sat Nav crashing as soon as we left the car park in Brighton, sending me into a panic as I had no idea where we were going. I passed an unloading place just past the Old Steine so pulled in and reset the darn thing, then we passed a body on the side of the road covered in a blanket with the police all around, that was a bit shocking and we felt sad for whoever it was. I then partly drove the wrong way up a road after geting confused about a contra flow change in Brighton. In Eastbourne I had to drive around twice to find Debbie's house. Setting up the Sat Nav to come home, I didn't check the route, only to find once we had started that  it had directed us to the A303, which involved going via the M23, M25 and M3 which were moving at a snails pace all the way. I think it took nearly 4 hours to get onto the A303!!!, so all in all, not the best first attempt at driving all the way home on my part. I just about managed to get us here in one piece. At least it took our minds off missing Chloe for a bit.

What does all this have to do with MND? Well I have driven since I was 18, but I have always been a reluctant driver. I'm fine with familiar territory, but I hate going somewhere new. Chris on the other hand loved driving, so it was always his job to take us somewhere new or do long distance. He was always so calm and never has he suffered from 'road rage'. So now, because of MND, the roles are reversed and neither of us like it. MND has changed all of our lives.

Chris was so tired when we got home yesterday and he seemed so sad too. He is hating what this disease is doing to him. When he is really tired the pitch of his voice changes too and it is more husky. It breaks my heart to see Chris desperately trying to do things as normal, but finding it so hard and tiring. Most people don't see all of this, he does his best not to give in in front of others, but we, his family, know different.

Yes MND changes all our lives, but nothing compares to how it has changed my darling husband's life.