Monday 15 September 2014

No.87 The distractions of family life.

Yesterday was back to normality with a bang. The morning started with the now usual routine of cleaning Chris's PEG which is healing really well. I then had to deal with Chloe stressing out over uni enrolment and her only just finding out she is supposed to be there for enrolment day next Thursday, which is while we are on holiday. We had visions of her having to catch the coach from Glastonbury to Brighton and miss half the holiday. Luckily they have a second enrolment day in October, so we breathed a sigh of relief about that one.

I then had to take Tamara to Treliske (I feel I am getting to know that hospital so well) as she was having her wisdom teeth out under GA, so I had to go with her. That all went fine. When we got home I discovered my son Jordan had dropped a 50kg weight on his foot while at work (he is an agricultural engineer) and had to go to hospital. Amazingly he didn't break anything, but he is on crutches and has a very sore and swollen foot. As he is self employed he is not happy.

I felt a little like one of those stretchy men yesterday, being pulled in all directions, but you know, in a warped kind of way, it was actually refreshing to be worrying about something other than MND for a change.

When I got back with Tam, Chris had gone out on his scooter on the farm somewhere, that's OK, he is feeling so much better after the PEG op and it does him good to get out. Though hearing that he had climbed up on a chair and then tripped over our Scottie and landed on the floor, wasn't quite what I wanted to hear. I think he had chatted to a few people yesterday too and I could tell, as once again his speech was really bad during the evening. He literally wore his voice out talking. He was smiling and happy though and that is the main thing.

Sometimes distractions from the unwanted reality of MND, can make a change, even if those distractions are not particularly welcome either. At least those other things will resolve themselves unlike MND, I'd rather have a few 'normal' family crisis's anyday, than watch the inevitable decline of this awful disease with Chris.