Thursday 14 August 2014

No.57. Splash away the lows.


Yesteday was a rather up and down kind of day. Chris and I glued ourselves to the radio from early on as Radio Cornwall reassured me it that our short interview would be on after 7.30am, but it wasn't. It was a little disappointing, but not the end of the world.

Chris had an appointment at the GP's during the morning, to have a blood test to check his liver because he is taking Riluzole. We came home stacked high with Resource milkshakes.

We then had a mini crisis as the bulb people, who were out in the field next to the house, ploughed through our main water pipe from the meter, leaving us and the whole of the farm waterless! Luckily they got it fixed in about an hour, phew ! Around then the physio turned up with two different types of walking sticks/crutches for Chris to try. I could see he was reluctant to try either, but she left both for him to try out. It's going to be a hard habit to grasp I think.

Later on in the afternoon we decided to do our Ice Bucket Challenge, the sun had come out and the wind had died down a little, so we went for it. I made Chris wear waterproof trousers and wellies so that he wouldn't get too wet and chilled and he and I did ours together and then Chloe did hers. It was actually a lot of fun and Chloe made us laugh. I then challenged my son and his wife and they did it during the evening, I was really proud of them for that.

We were then waiting for BBC Spotlight as we were told Chris's interview would be on, again it wasn't which was a shame as it would have highlighted MND which was the most important thing to us. Never mind, that`s the way it goes sometimes.

I think the fun out weighed any slight disappointments and it was certainly a day for the memory banks.

I 've gotten to know so many new people since Chris`s diagnosis, all have been affected by MND in some way. It is a unique club that none of us wanted to be in, but once we were, we found we were all united in one goal, to raise awareness and fight for a cure and fighting in numbers is always so much better, than fighting alone. You had better watch out MND.