Tuesday 12 August 2014

No.54. Getting on with life, getting on with MND.

Yesterday was TB testing on the farm. We really hope for a clear test this time as we have been under TB restrictions for a long time, fingers crossed. When Chris came in for lunch after the test, his speech was really bad. I asked him what he had been doing and his reply was 'Not much, just leaning.' I guess that was enough to tire him. He can't really lie about it though, his tiredness really shows in his speech when he has done too much and it is a dead giveaway.

The physio is coming today. I think Chris needs to ask about walking sticks or crutches. His balance is really bad now and he walks around the house holding on to things for support. I think we'll ask about a wheelchair too. We have a second hand one, but some bits are falling off of it.

A new fundraising idea for MND has drifted over from the US. It is the ice bucket challenge, where you pour a bucket of ice and water over your head and film it and post it to social media. Chloe and I are up for it and I think Chris is, though I`m hope he can cope with the really cold part OK. We'll see what the physio says tomorrow. Tam`s boyfriend Karl is too, should be fun!! I just hope people will donate and make it worth while. It`s good to have something positive to think about.

My eldest daughter wants to do a sky dive, I could never do that, I 'm terrified of heights ! Never been particularly athletic either. Chris is still so involved with the farm, mentally if not physically, that I 'm not sure he can get his head around fundraising ideas, though his brother did suggest a vintage tractor rally. Maybe. All the big ideas take such a lot of effort, I have such admiration for those who do it. 

There is never a good age to get MND, not for the person affected and not for their loved ones, but we always feel particularly sad for those who get it really young in their 20's and 30's, that really is cruel, I always hope they have the slow kind when I hear that. We all really do have to count our blessings.