Saturday 23 August 2014

No.65. Hope is priceless.

Yesterday was a funny sort of day. It started with me waking early and I had the urge to challenge all the local TV and radio stations to do the Ice Bucket Challenge. After I annoyed them I got on with my usual routine. Chris had a phone call from his MND nurse Tracy. She spoke to Chris for a while and then spoke to me. I was surprised to learn that she had read my blog and then she said BBC Spotlight had contacted her about the Ice Bucket Challenge and that they wanted to come to the hospital ( in Plymouth) where she is based, to film a challenge live. I joked that it was probably my fault for tweeting them. We`ll keep an eye out over the next few days and see what transpires. I hope they do go and film them doing something.

Chris then had to go and have an ECG which was a pre op check for next week. His GP grabbed him as he left. She asked about his PIP application and said she could speed it up. It`s been nearly 3 months so far since Chris applied, maybe she can, I don`t know. Ironically, especially with the hoo hah over MacMillian and the Ice Bucket Challenges at the moment, Chris`s GP also said that she wanted him to meet a MacMillan nurse who would be there for him in the future, just to introduce herself to him. MacMillan seemed to give the impression yesterday on Twitter that they were a cancer charity, but I always thought they were for any one who was terminally ill. It will be nice to meet her anyway.

It was heartening to see MND being dealt with properly on the TV yesterday.`This Morning` featured a lovely lady who was living with MND. It was discussed properly and informatively and linked in the Ice Bucket Challenges too. It also said to donate to the MND association. Brilliant ..at last!! The BBC lunch time news also had an intelligent news item about it, even talking to someone from the MND association. The best thing of all was watching the funds on the Ice Bucket Challenge fund raising page just go up and up !!!

On the way back from the Doctor we stopped off at the field where all the machinery was being set up for the sale that is on today. It was kind of sad driving round it all, the end of an era. The farm will still go on, just differently. We will be off later to watch how it goes. We will all don our MND T shirts too and try and get all those who come, to donate. I`ve never been to an auction before, that`ll be a new experience.

After lunch someone came to the door to talk to Chris. After a while I realised that he'd been out there a long time so I had a look. It was a different man this time. I could see Chris leaning, propping himself up against the door frame. Now anyone who knows Chris will tell you that he is one of the most polite people you would ever meet. One of life's gentle souls. I knew he would never say he was having trouble standing up so I took him out Chloe's piano seat and made him sit down. Half an hour later he was still there so I pretended he had a phone call to rescue him. Even talking for too long can get tiring. I probably fuss to much, not going to stop though.

I think unless you have MND or loved someone who has, you probably won`t understand the elation that is going around the MND community at the moment. We are like one united family all after the same thing, awareness and a cure. The IceBucket Challenge won`t last forever, but it is on a roll at the moment and MND awareness is suddenly happening everywhere as well as the money pouring in. This is a relatively new experience for us, Chris only being diagnosed in May, but it is palpable the excitement that is being felt from people who have been waiting for this for years. If nothing else, more people will know what MND is and may be more willing to donate in the future. I know this phenominum won`t last for ever, there will be an end to it at some point, but I`m pretty sure the feel good factor from the euphoria it has created, is going to last some while.

What this has done more than anything though, is give everyone who has MND and their families, hope and that is priceless.