Saturday 12 July 2014

No.27.Facing the truth.

Well, yesterday started with Chris choking on his Weetabix and me having to slap between his shoulder blades hard to clear it. (The physio showed me how to do that). It always scares me so much when that happens, because he really can`t catch his breath or cough properly. I guess it really is time for him to think about having a peg fitted.
.
After lunch a nice man from Cornwall Council came and fitted a handle on the wall in the shower to help Chris get up from his shower seat and a second hand rail on our main stairs. Chris can still manage the stairs, just, but he has been pulling himself up on the one banister rail . Now he will be able to spread his weight between the two.

Oh dear, this is really happening to him isn`t it ? He really does have MND. I had a dad who had Multiple Sclerosis and a mum who had Alzheimer`s, I never dreamed in a million years that Chris would get this. I told my youngest daughter that we must never get bitter, it`s bloody unfair yes, but life is one big lottery, simple as that and what ever life throws our way, we just have to deal with it. It doesn`t mean we have to be happy about it though, it doesn`t mean we can`t get angry sometimes.

I `ve said this before, but I am so grateful for the people I`ve met via social media, who have been touched by MND in someway. It really does help to know we are not alone and that there are people to get advice from who`ve actually been there. There are so many people tirelessly raising awareness and fundraising and that is so wonderful, so thanks to all of them.They are all so positive and that really helps me keep focused on the here and now.

We are never going to give up the fight to help find a cure, not ever. We have to fight so that future generations never have to go through this. One day MND you will have nowhere to hide.

*Edit* I have to admit watching Chris do figures of 8 around the cars parked in the yard on his mobilty scooter does look a lot of fun. He knows how to live in the moment and is making the most of it. Love that man. <3